Translate

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Characteristics of an Effective Coach, Mentor, or Intentional Disciple Maker

I have spent the last several months reading and thinking about discipleship in the local church and have come to see the similarities between an intentional disciple maker and a coach or mentor more clearly than ever before.  I found this list of characteristics of an effective coach from the book, Effect Coaching by Marshall Cook.  It is a list I am going to put in my office and refer to as I seek to influence people!  I hope you find it helpful also. I may comment upon them in the days to come!
  • AN EFFECTIVE COACH IS POSITIVE.
  • AN EFFECTIVE COACH IS ENTHUSIASTIC.
  • AN EFFECTIVE COACH IS SUPPORTIVE.
  • AN EFFECTIVE COACH IS TRUSTING.
  • AN EFFECTIVE COACH IS FOCUSED.
  • AN EFFECTIVE COACH IS GOAL-ORIENTED.
  • AN EFFECTIVE COACH IS KNOWLEDGEABLE.
  • AN EFFECTIVE COACH IS OBSERVANT.
  • AN EFFECTIVE COACH IS RESPECTFUL.
  • AN EFFECTIVE COACH IS PATIENT.
  • AN EFFECTIVE COACH IS CLEAR.
Adapted from Effective Coaching by Marshall J. Cook. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1999.

No comments:

Post a Comment