Translate

Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Inner Logic of Scripture

I once heard systematic theologian Ray Anderson, from Fuller Seminary, talk about the inner logic of Scripture.  There are threads that are woven into the very fabric of scripture that are seemingly imperceptible but once discovered are purely astonishing and puts one in awe of the intricacies of God.  I stand in awe every time I notice it or it is pointed out to me.  I have seen it again recently as I have been studying Hosea and then today as I was studying the resurrection.  Here is an example of this inner logic that I gleaned today.

The resurrection of Jesus takes place, John is careful to tell us twice, 'on the first day of the week', and I believe this is best interpreted as the start of God's new creation.  On the Friday, the sixth day of the week, Jesus stands before Pilate, who declares, 'behold the man!' (19:5) echoing the creation of humankind on the sixth day of creation.  On the cross Jesus finishes the work the father has given him to do (17:4), ending with the shout of triumph (tetelestai, 'it is accomplished', 19:30), corresponding to the completion of creation itself.  There follows, as in Genesis, a day of rest, a sabbath day (19:31); and then, while it was dark, Mary Magdalene comes to the tomb 'on the first day of the week'. . . Jesus's public career is to be understood as the completion of the original creation, with the resurrection as the start of the new.  The Resurrection of the Son of God by NT Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment