in ARTICLES, BLOG, FOR THE CITY, MISSION
Recently, Josh Reeves wrote several great articles with simple ideas and ways you can be missional in your workplace, as well as simple ways to engage your neighbors (Part 1 & Part 2). Josh will continue sharing new ideas in this 5-part series called Simple Ways To Be Missional In Your City.
And although the word “missional” has become quite a buzzword recently, it really just means that we live every day as missionaries. Jesus said that “As the Father has sent me, so I send you” (John 20:21). That word “sent” is where we get the word “missional.” It simply means that we live as Jesus lived – as sent people who live everyday life with gospel intentionality.
In fact, most of the simple ideas you’ll find below are very much in the context of your everyday life, but when looked at with a lens of gospel intentionality – when viewed through the eyes of a missionary – become not just ordinary tasks, but eternally significant rhythms of your life that are teeming with gospel opportunity:
Extended Neighborhood – The Regular Spots In Your City:
1. Participate in the local festivals, parades and celebrations of your city.
2. Find a park where you will consistently spend time with your community.
3. Pick a few restaurants to frequent getting to know the staff and regulars.
4. Go to the same coffee shop when you can.
5. Start a regular ultimate Frisbee game in your city.
6. Take the kids to story time at your local library.
7. Let your kids play in the city sports leagues.
8. Attend your city council meetings and get to know what’s going on in your city.
9. Attend your local school board meetings to know what is going on in the schools.
10. Frequent a local gym or recreation center.
Do you have some other ideas or ways that you or your Missional Community have engaged your city? Let us know below in the Comments section!
P.S. Want more practical resources on being missional?
Stay connected to the best Verge content – for free! Join thousands of innovators who get fresh content each week:
Post a Comment