Translate

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Ineffable Joy

I have habit of looking up words I do not know when I come across them in my reading.  This past week while reading  PAUL, Apostle of God's Glory in Christ by Thomas Schreiner, I came across this sentence, "The Spirit communicates in an ineffable way that we are part of God's family."  Ineffable means 'too great or extreme to be expressed or described in words or too sacred to be uttered.'  I immediately thought of this passage,
"Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory." (1Pe 1:8 ESV)
The joy that God promises us, even in the midst of suffering, is described as inexpressible.  That is, it is so great or glorious that it defies expression.  Do you have this joy that only comes by faith?

No comments:

Post a Comment