Translate

Wednesday, October 4, 2017

The Garden of Eden and the Garden of Gethsemane in the Gospel of John


When Jesus had spoken these words, he went out with his disciples across the brook Kidron, where there was a garden, which he and his disciples entered. Now Judas, who betrayed him, also knew the place, for Jesus often met there with his disciples. So Judas, having procured a band of soldiers and some officers from the chief priests and the Pharisees, went there with lanterns and torches and weapons. Then Jesus, knowing all that would happen to him, came forward and said to them, Whom do you seek? They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus said to them, I am he. Judas, who betrayed him, was standing with them. When Jesus said to them, I am he, they drew back and fell to the ground. So he asked them again, Whom do you seek? And they said, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus answered, I told you that I am he. So, if you seek me, let these men go. This was to fulfill the word that he had spoken: Of those whom you gave me I have lost not one. Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant and cut off his right ear. (The servant's name was Malchus.) So Jesus said to Peter, Put your sword into its sheath; shall I not drink the cup that the Father has given me? (John 18:1-11 ESV)

John picks up themes from the fall and includes them in his gospel to show the relationship to the fall of man in the first Adam and the restoration of humanity in the New Adam:

The first Adam began life in a garden; the second came to end his life in a garden.
In Eden Adam sinned; in Gethsemane the Savior overcame sin.
In Eden Adam fell; in Gethsemane Jesus conquered.
In Eden Adam hid himself because of sin; In Gethsemane Jesus presented himself because of sin.
In Eden the Sword was draw; in Gethsemane the sword was sheathed.

2 comments:

  1. Please give credit the author for that last paragraph:
    Nancy Guthrie
    Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be happy to if this is where I got it but I do not think I have read that book and do not remember the source. Can you give me the page number so I can verify?

    ReplyDelete