Translate

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Being thankful to God




1 Timothy 1:12 I thank him who has given me strength, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he judged me faithful, appointing me to his service,

God has graciously shown me recently through several situations that I am not thankful for His blessings in my life. I am not very content; I am more focused on what is wrong in my life than what is right; I see problems where I should see possibilities; and I am unhappy about circumstances rather than being grateful and thankful for all that God is doing in my life. I have the best wife, I have great kids who love God and are pursuing him, I have plenty of money, the church I pastor is going great, and I am healthy. Why then am I so discontent and always wanting life and ministry to go better? Bottom line I am dissatisfied with Jesus, what he did for me on the cross, and what he promises to be for me on a daily basis. He is not enough for me. Symptomatic of my unbelief, I want more from this world.
Yet how do I correct my spiritual condition? I am very task oriented so I want to look at ways or things I can do to correct my problem. But this will not be resolved by checking off a list of spiritual exercises meant to make me more thankful. I can thank God more but if my heart is not thankful, it is meaningless. I am not sure I agree with the 12 step mantra, fake it 'til you make it! The only way to combat this competing unbelief in my heart is to do battle with a stronger and better desire, the desire to be satisfied with who Christ promises to be for me. These competing desires in my heart will only be conquered by a greater satisfaction in who Christ is and promises to be for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment